1.13.2010

A Success and a Disaster

So living on my own has really pushed me to explore my Top Chef abilities. This week, it was the instant food that was a success - so not due to any skill on my part - and my attempt at a new dish that was a disaster - not a real disaster because it tasted good, but texture wise, not so yummy.



The first creation was Duck Confit with Rice. The Duck Confit was provided by Bruno, a wonderful charcutier based in Silverlake. The Duck was a gift from my Mom for Christmas... and a perfect gift for me. The rice was provided by Uncle Ben. Yes, it
was instant rice and surprisingly delicious. I added a bit of Olive Oil and Paprika and Voila!



The second creation was Tofu Soup (originally supposed to be Tofu Stir Fry). The mistake I made was buying the "Silken" Tofu, because I prefer soft tofu, just not that soft. I sauteed it with some onions, garlic, mushrooms and topped it off with some bok choy. The vegetable bouillon cube and sesame oil made it delicious. I sprinkled some paprika (loooove the paprika), cayenne pepper, tamari, curry powder, and some garlic salt. It tasted pretty great except the egg-like texture of the tofu along with the water seeping from the bok choy ruined it half way for me. Next time I'll stick with firm tofu :p

No comments:

Post a Comment